Heat Signature is a game from the developers of Gunpoint where you break into spaceships, make terrible mistakes, and think of clever ways out of them. You take a mission, fly to the target ship, sneak inside, and make clever use of your gadgets to distract, ambush and take out the crew.
- Release Date: Sep 21, 2017
Developer: Suspicious Developments
Price: 14.99 USD
Important Note: This is a singleplayer game with no real hope of any co-op or multiplayer being made.
(Currently 11.99 USD with the -20% from the steam sale)
The Main Game
You fly around in your small space-pod ship. You can take missions and fly around in a randomly-generated galaxy. You also get to sneak or fight your way through randomly generated ships, each designed to fit in with one of the 4 factions of enemies that are spread around into 4 "areas" of the galaxy.
The gameplay itself is best described as SuperHot mixed with Hotline Miami. You can freely pause the game as needed, allowing you a bit of a strategic advantage over your opponents. It lets you aim, look around the area, and even aim the throwing of items (such as melee weapons) from a stopped-time system.
This game has no main character. You won't stick with the same character or inventory of items either. As time goes on you will eventually either die or retire your characters, playing as new random ones, with random inventories. Each character has a "personal" mission, which is basically their individual motivation for doing what they're doing. Thanks to these, as well as the variety of items, ships, and galaxies, most experiences are unique.
The "Big Picture"
As you play, you will build a "Liberation" meter, similar to levelling up in an Experience Points system. Liberation points are given after completing a mission successfully, and the difficulty of the mission typically determines how much you will get. Each time you fill the liberation meter, you can unlock/"Liberate" a new space station, or node, on the star map.
Why bother? Well, as you unlock more nodes you gain access to more weapons and items available in the shops at friendly stations, as well as the 4 other types of space pods you can fly (each having their own abilities).
Some Neat Items and Weapons
There's a lot of gadgets in this game, some offensive, some defensive, and some that can be offensive if used creatively. Here's a few off the top of my head:
- Teleporters that swap you with another person within range
- Guns, both lethal and non-lethal
- The trusty wrench, as a non-lethal melee weapon
- Traps that teleport someone to a chosen location within range (sometimes outside the ship)
- A gadget that slows down time for 10 seconds while you speed up.
- Grenade launchers of various grenade types.
- Rare Self-recharging items, or less rare restockable items that are replenished at friendly stations for free.
- Very rare weapons that are OP, such as an acid-firing gun, a shotgun grenade-launcher, and what is essentially the gravity gun from half life 2.
- Named weapons from previous characters you've retired, or from your friends if you both have Heat Sig on steam.
- Hacking "beams" that can disrupt stuff through walls.
- Teleporters that take you somewhere in range, but you'll get sent back in a couple seconds.
- Breach grenades that destroy whole rooms of a ship.
- Stealth shields that give you directional-invisibility for a short time.
- The ability to pickpocket if you're close enough to someone.
- A Hack "beam" that will not only disrupt certain electronics, but turn them against others.
Did I mention you can blow up ships? Each part of a ship is destructible if you have the necessary explosives or shoot the engines in the engine rooms. You can also dock your ship with these opened parts of the ship, but beware, as blowing a big part of the ship tends to set off alarms.